Strain Genie’s THC Dosage Calculator
How much THC should I take?
One of the most common questions we get after customers read through their Cannabis Health Report is: How much THC should I take? It’s an incredibly important question; the right THC dosage can make the difference between effective medicine and a waste of time and money. That’s why we made the world’s most advanced THC Dosage Calculator, free to use!
So, if you’re in the pursuit of using THC oil, smoking THC, or utilizing any of the other THC form factors, be sure to use our THC Dosage calculator below to find how many mg of THC you should take in order to reap the benefits of this powerful and psychoactive cannabinoid.
How to use the THC Dosage Calculator
While it may seem simple to look up THC dosage on a THC Dosage chart, it is actually much more accurate to use a THC Dosage calculator.
Using the THC Dosage calculator is easy. Simply fill out the form below. While it may seem simple on the surface, this calculator is actually quite complex, with advanced equations that take into account the proceedings of peer-reviewed research on effective THC dosages.
As such, this calculator takes into account critical variables necessary for making an accurate THC dosage recommendaiton.
To be specific, the THC dosage calculator below takes into account the following:
- THC consumption frequency
- Planned consumption method
Why do we need these pieces of information to make a THC Dosage recommendation? Well, if the question is “how much THC should I take”, then its important to know who the “I” is in that question (you!). For instance, most research on THC utilizes a mg/kg dosage. That means, animals that weigh more, get more THC , proportionate to their weight. Gender can also play a role in dosage given that men tend to have a higher metabolism than women. Finally, THC tolerance is real! Your body’s endocannabinoid system produces endogenous cannabinoids (i.e. cannabinoids found in the body). When you adjust your internal cannabinoid levels when ingesting exogenous cannabinoids (i.e. cannabis products), your body will start producing less over time to maintain homeostasis. While a brilliant mechanism for instilling balance within the body, this also creates a “tolerance”, which will mandate higher dosages as a function of experience.
Finally, our calculator also asks how you plan to consume your THC. This is important, as a THC Oil dosage calculator is much different than a THC vape dosage calculator– the bioavailability of THC varies as a function of form factor. Not all THC is created equal, so our dosage calculator takes that into account. As such, our calculator also provides THC dosage guidance for different form factors, essentially serving as each of the following, all-in-one:
- THC oil dosage calculator
- THC vape dosage calculator
- THC isolate dosage calculator
- THC edible dosage calculator
- THC tincture dosage calculator
Find Your Optimal THC Dosage For Any Form Factor
Inhalation THC Dosage Calculator Guidance
THC oil dosage is easy; you just calculate how many mL you are taking (typically on your dropper) and use that to see how many mg of THC you are ingesting (most labels will show you mg/mL). However, if your selected form factor within the THC dosage calculator was inhalation, then you know that getting your dose right when its not already “dosed” out for you can be difficult. This rings especially try for dry-herb (better known as flower). You might wonder “how much THC is in a puff from a joint?” or “how much THC should I vape?”.
Below, we have provided guidelines for best estimating your THC consumption when using inhalation methods.
Vape pens are a healthy and efficient way to dial in your THC Oil dosage. Be sure to source your vape pens from a reputable source. Black-market vapes can cause serious health concerns.
- Assumption 1: A vape pen contains 0.5g of THC Oil
- Assumption 2: The THC Oil is at 80% Concentration (400mg THC)
- Assumption 3: 100 puffs from a 0.5g vape pen
- Conclusion: 1 puff = 4mg THC
Bowls / Pipes
If you are looking for a sizeable amount of THC in a single puff, dry-herb / flower might be one of your best bets. THC dosage for Bowls and Pipes are given as follows:
- Assumption 1: A bowl contains 0.3g of flower
- Assumption 2: 20% THC concentration (60mg THC)
- Assumption 3: 5 puffs per bowl
- Conclusion: 1 puff = 12mg THC
Joint / Blunt
Joints and blunts allow for a smaller THC per puff dosage, but typically burn longer and would allow for multiple hits, shared amongst fellow consumers.
- Assumption 1: A blunt / joint contains 0.5g of flower
- Assumption 2: 20% THC Concentration (100mg THC)
- Assumption 3: 30 puffs from a 0.5g blunt / joint.
- Conclusion: 1 puff = 3.33mg THC
While consuming THC from a bong might not be the most common approach, it is certainly an effective way to get a maximal dose.
- Assumption 1: A bong’s bowl contains 0.3g of flower
- Assumption 2: 20% THC Concentration (60mg THC)
- Assumption 3: 3 hits from a bong bowl
- Conclusion: 1 bong hit = 30mg THC
Dabs / Concentrate
Dabbing THC is a clean and effective way to get a sizeable dose. Be sure to follow best dabbing temperature guidance to make sure you don’t lose the other terpenes and trace cannabinoids.
- Assumption 1: The average dab container contains 0.5g of concentrate
- Assumption 2: The dab is at 80% THC Concentration (400mg THC)
- Assumption 3: An average-sized dab (size of a grain of rice) is 25mg (1/20th of the container)
- Conclusion: 1 dab = 20mg THC
Vaporizer (Dry Flower)
Vaping Dry Flower THC is a bit easier to calculate, since you have more control over temperature. Popular vaping products like the Pax fall into this dosage guidance category.
- Assumption 1: A vaporizer contains 0.3g of flower
- Assumption 2: 20% THC Concentration (60mg THC)
- Assumption 3: 6 puffs from a vaporizer with 0.3g of flower
- Conclusion: 1 vape hit = 3.33mg THC
Many people also ask “do you hold in THC vape?” after using our THC dosage calculator. The answer is simple: Nope! Both THC and CBD are absorbed in your lungs almost immediately upon inhalation and contact with your alveoli.
We make cannabis simple
Be sure to also check out our CBD Dosage Calculator
Interested in going past dosage and learning how the combination of cannabinoids and terpenes found in the cannabis plant interact with your body?
Learn more about how our Cannabis DNA test works here.